Artistic Quotes to Live By...

"I must see new things and investigate them. I want to taste dark
water and see crackling trees and wild winds."- Egon Schiele

21 January 2012

One Million Bones

As a teacher, I think that it is important not only for my students to learn about the history (or current news) of the world, it is also necessary for them to have a deep understanding about events that they will likely never experience for themselves because of the time and place they live.  When I was in sixth grade (where I went to school, this was still elementary), I had a teacher that was passionate about Russia and the Holocaust.  Through out the year, my class learned to speak basic Russian and because aware of the atrocities that took place in World War II in Europe.

To this day, I still have a deep interest in the Holocaust because it never cease to astonish me how these types of horrific acts could have occurred just 70 years ago.  The project, One Million Bones, is an artistic movement to create one million handmade bones out of clay to create awareness of the millions of victims that have fallen due to genocide.  This is a way that you could get your students involved in a national movement with a world wide message. I believe this would be a lesson that would resonate with the students who participate for a very long time.  This very well could be something that would stir an interest in a student for a life time and inspire them to make a change in the world for the better.

By using blogs this way, individuals can work to spread the word on important movements like this one and offers an opportunity for people to become involved in something that they would likely never have known about!

You will be judged in years to come by how you responded to genocide on your watch. 
-Nicholas D Kristof

   

No comments:

Post a Comment